Monday, August 16, 2010

The Bigger Picture

Catch-22, What is the What

Many Stories in One:
Joseph Heller and Dave Eggers were able to capture the lives of many characters through the view of one narrator. Through the eyes of Yossarian and Achak, the reader was able to understand not only what the narrator was going through, but what others around them experienced. I like how the authors can focus on one character, yet tell the story of many others at the same time.
With Catch-22, this type of writing helps the readers understand Yosarrian's emotions and how he begins to go insane. By specifically knowing the story of each character, instead of just knowing them as Yossarian's colleagues, we know them as the people who helped Yossarian go crazy. The one's who helped drive him to flee. Their personalities and actions all combine to give an atmosphere of chaos and humor.
In What is the What, Achak describes his unwanted adventures through southern Africa. His story not only captures himself, but he also captures what is happening to everyone around him. Through his story, the reader is able to look into the lives of those who have suffered. His details help fill in the gaps to a bigger picture, which was a genocide happening in the 21st century. I liked how the book brings awareness and educates what has happened and is happening in other countries.

Overall, I found most of the summer reading books enjoyable.
How to Read Literature Like a Professor taught me new ways on how to look at texts and not everything is flatly what it says.
1984 was my favorite from the group of books. It had suspense and I liked analyzing and looking for meaning in the text.
Catch-22 was slightly long and felt that some things were unnecessary, but that's what brought all the humor. It was a different style of writing to read and I found it funny.
I liked how What is the What
brings awareness to what happened in Sudan. To read about what Achak and others went through makes me feel more grateful and thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment